top of page
  • tony0665

4 Reasons Cannabis Formulators Prioritize Biological Availability of Water-Soluble Cannabinoids

A cannabinoid product may list a 10-milligram dose on the label, but how much of that dose will actually have an effect when it’s consumed? The answer depends on cannabinoid bioavailability, or the extent to which cannabinoid molecules reach the physiological site of action.


Here are four reasons cannabinoid product formulators use innovative water-soluble cannabinoids to optimize bioavailability.

  1. Water-Soluble Cannabinoids Enhanced Efficacy

Formulators use water-soluble cannabinoids to improve the bioavailability and effectiveness of cannabinoid products.


Consider the following example to illustrate the substantial impact of cannabinoid bioavailability on product efficacy.


If a product formulation with 10 milligrams of cannabinoids is 30% bioavailable, only 3 milligrams of cannabinoids will actually make it to the cannabinoid receptors, where it has a chance to take effect. The remaining 70% of cannabinoids, or 7 milligrams, is eliminated from the body and essentially wasted.


Formulators who successfully increase cannabinoid bioavailability to 100% will deliver the full 10-milligram dose to the cannabinoid receptor targets.


  1. Water Solubility Reduces Cannabinoid Formulation Costs

The same dose goes further if a cannabinoid is truly water-soluble and bioavailable. That is why cost-savvy formulators use highly bioavailable cannabinoid ingredients to reduce the amount of raw ingredients needed to deliver the same effect.


To illustrate the potential cost savings of using 100% bioavailable cannabinoids, consider the following example.


A product formulator purchases 10,000 mg of 20% bioavailable cannabinoids in a batch, resulting in an effective dose of only 2,000 milligrams per batch.


By switching to truly water-soluble and 100% bioavailable cannabinoids, they would only need to purchase 2,000 milligrams per batch to deliver the same effect.


In other words, 10,000 milligrams of 100% bioavailable cannabinoids would be enough to make five batches, compared to only one batch from the 20% bioavailable cannabinoids.


  1. Water Solubility Improves Product Consistency and Quality

Successful formulators know that product consistency and quality are vital components of a brand’s reputation. Traditional methods of making cannabinoids more water-soluble vary in effectiveness and results. For example:

  • Topical cannabinoid products like creams and lotions can separate into visible layers because oil-based ingredients naturally repel water-based ingredients.

  • Cannabinoid beverages using oil-based cannabinoids settle over time, which rules out popular bubbly drinks that consumers can’t shake to redistribute ingredients.


Formulators with consistent product formulations choose water-soluble ingredients that dissolve entirely. This decision allows them to create consistent, high-quality, shelf-stable products without problems like separation and settling caused by ineffective methods of cannabinoid solubilization.


  1. Innovative Solutions Build Brand Trust in a Changing Regulatory Environment

Cannabis and hemp product formulators constantly adapt to a unique and rapidly evolving regulatory landscape that varies between states. Forward-thinking cannabinoid product formulators are prepared for the likelihood of increased federal oversight in the future.


The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already issued warning letters to CBD firms for products that do not contain the levels of CBD claimed on their labels. If cannabis is legalized at the federal level, cannabinoid products will be regulated according to more stringent federal requirements, similar to other pharmaceutical drugs and supplements. Product formulators will be under increased pressure to comply with the FDA’s Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMPs) regulations. CGMP requirements regulate identity, strength, quality, and purity.


As with any botanically derived product, cannabis and hemp plants vary in chemical composition and efficacy due to their inherent heterogeneity of natural products. Proactive formulators can prepare for stricter regulatory standards and build brand trust by optimizing product quality with water-soluble cannabinoids.


Takeaways On Water-Soluble Bioavailable Cannabinoids

Innovations in truly water-soluble cannabinoid ingredients improve the bioavailability and efficacy of cannabis and hemp product formulations well beyond the results achieved with nanotechnology and other traditional methods to enhance cannabinoid bioavailability. Water-soluble cannabinoids allow formulators to create cannabinoid products that deliver predictable and biologically available cannabinoids.


Our flagship ingredient, CannaSorb CB Active, is made via a patented process akin to polysorbate chemistry. While other ingredients aim to make hydrophobic compounds more hydrophilic, CannaSorb CB Active is made by chemically reacting a fat-soluble compound and converting it into a water-soluble compound. This process creates an opaque liquid that dilutes quickly, easily, and fully into water to create a clear, stable, permanent solution.




You're in the right place if you seek high-value cannabis formulation ingredients and white-label opportunities. Our industry know-how and expert support at Synergy Life Science will help you get your high-quality products on the retail shelves efficiently and affordably. Contact us here to find out more.

12 views0 comments
bottom of page